Dynamic Communications Manager — Portland, Maine; Minneapolis, Minn.; or Washington, D.C. Offices
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic Communications Manager to join our excellent non-profit team. This position is responsible for enacting the communications strategy for all of ILSR’s media platforms and different program initiatives.
Hours per week: Full Time
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
Application Due: May 17th, 2018
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
- A nimble and dynamic individual able to switch between multiple tasks and program areas within a single work day, and to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A skilled time manager asked to maintain multiple projects and detailed communications work, which may have varying priority, length, and supervisors.
- Ready to sharpen existing skills and learn new ones, including: editing podcast audio, maintaining a WordPress-backed website, copy-editing blogs, commentaries, and articles destined for ILSR and other publications, writing press releases and social media materials, and cultivating relationships with reporters.
- Passionate about ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power.
- A detail-oriented supervisor of a very small communications team able to delegate efficiently and catch mistakes before they go live.
- Unafraid of admitting mistakes, because they happen and we learn from them!
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Maintaining, updating, and enacting strategy for all of ILSR’s social media platforms and for its different program initiatives.
- Writing press releases, media advisories, and reporter outreach for a variety of ILSR original research, resources, and local technical assistance. This task includes developing and maintaining relationships with multiple reporters across subject areas.
- Producing and providing technical support for the Building Local Power podcast, including booking guests and writing ILSR.org blog posts to accompany episodes, and perhaps even occasional hosting duties!
- Helping to maintain the ILSR website, including: copy editing, selecting images and infographics, and ensuring site-wide consistency alongside senior staff.
- Being the main point of contact for media, legislators, and advocates interested in learning more about ILSR’s work.
- Gaining an understanding of ILSR’s several policy research areas in order to represent the work effectively.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE (in order of importance):
- Previous experience in communications, journalism, and/or marketing
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills at previous employer
- A bachelor’s degree or higher (Communications undergrad not required)
- Working knowledge of public policy processes
This position is full-time, based in our Portland, Maine; Minneapolis, Minnesota; or Washington, D.C. office. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Position includes 100% employer-paid health plan, generous vacation and holiday leave, and retirement contribution matching. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place. ILSR takes professional growth seriously, including the possibility of exciting training opportunities and continuing education in key skill areas.
Applications are welcome from a broad range of applicants. ILSR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. ILSR is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, color, religion or belief, gender identification, family or parental status.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, send an email to Nick Stumo-Langer, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following:
- Dynamic Communications Manager in the subject line
- A cover letter detailing why your skills and experience will be a great fit for ILSR (400 words or fewer).
- A writing sample totaling no more than a 1,000 words. Materials can include: original writing published at a previous employer or contractor, press release(s), compilation of original social media, original research. Feel free to send an excerpt of a longer piece. Your writing should feature your ability to summarize complex information for a lay audience.
- A set of three professional references
- A resume
- Salary requirement
Submit your application by May 17, 2018.
You will receive an automatic email reply confirming receipt of your application. We will schedule interviews with qualified applicants on a rolling basis. You will receive notice of our decision to schedule an interview via email no later than May 24.