Fast, affordable Internet access for all.
Digital SouthWest Videos Now Available
You might not have made it to Mesa for the Digital Southwest Regional Broadband Summit, but you can now watch some of the speakers and panel conversations. Next Century Cities has posted video from panel conversations and the keynote address from Commissioner Mignon Clyburn.
In her address, Commissioner Clyburn said:
“Access to high-speed broadband is a necessity in today’s 21st century economy, providing a gateway to jobs, education, and healthcare. I am honored to join state and local leaders who are on the front lines of closing the digital and opportunities divide. Working together, we can achieve our shared goal of affordable broadband for all Americans.”
The Commissioner’s full remarks were about 18 minutes long:
Sharing Knowledge on Infrastructure
Christopher moderated Panel Two, focused on infrastructure needs, which included CISSP President and CTO of CityLink Telecommunications John Brown, Partner at Conexon Jonathan Chambers, Director of Technology at the Southern California Tribal Chairmen’s Association Matt Rantanen, Manager of Tribal Critical Infrastructure at Amerind Riskand Kimball Sekaquaptewa, and Vice President of Digital Innovation at Magellan Advisors Jory Wolf. If you listen to the Community Broadband Bits podcast, you’ll probably recognize most of these voices.
The video lasts one hour thirteen minutes:
The other videos are available on the Next Century Cities YouTube channel page, or watch them here.
Welcome and Introduction: Deb Socia, Executive Director of Next Century Cities and Eric Farkas, Fujitsu Network Communications, 7:32
Q&A with Mignon Clyburn, 18:00:
Panel One: What’s Working– Stories of Success
- John Bowcut, IS/SFCN Director, Spanish Fork, UT
- Bob Fifer, Mayor Pro Tem, Arvada, CO
- Beth Huning, Chief Engineer, City of Mesa, AZ
- David Littell, RIVCOconnect Manager, Riverside County, CA
- Kimball Sekaquaptewa, Manager of Tribal Critical Infrastructure, Amerind Risk
- Don Williams, Senior Program Specialist for Broadband at US Department of Commerce
Lunch and Keynote Conversation: Mesa, AZ Mayor John Giles and Representative Andy Biggs (R-AZ)
Breakout Session Two: Small Cells and Pole Attachments
- Todd O’Boyle, Deputy Director, Next Century Cities
- Michael Calabrese, Director, Wireless Future Program, New America, Open Technology Institute
- Casey Lide, Partner, Law Firm of Baller, Stokes, and Lide
- Courtney Schmidt, Executive Vice President, SureSite Consulting Group, LLC
- David Young, Fiber Infrastructure and Right of Way Manager, Lincoln, NE
Panel Three: Broadband Financing
- Keith Adams, Assistant Administrator, RUS
- Jordana Barton, Senior Advisor, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
- Tom Coverick, Managing Director, KeyBanc Capital Markets
- Tim Herwig, District Community Affairs Officer, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
- Aimee Meacham, Director, Broadband Services Program, NTIA