As 2016 comes to a close, we face a new connectivity landscape. Next Century Cities, SHLB, and US Ignite are coming together to help community leaders prepare for the future with smart policies and keys to expanding local broadband efforts. The organizations are presenting Transforming Communities: Broadband Goals for 2017 and Beyond, bringing together connectivity leaders from the world of federal, state, and local agencies, as well as policy advisors, mayors, and leaders from anchor institutions.
The entire event will be in Washington, DC, at the Google offices - 25 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 900. Participants will gather with a networking reception tonight at 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m. The main event will be tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. EST.
Christopher, as Policy Director of Next Century Cities, will moderate the first panel tomorrow, titled "Leveraging High-Speed Internet for Success."
The Full Agenda:
- Welcome: John Burchett, State Policy Counsel at Google
- Welcome: Deb Socia, Next Century Cities, John Windhausen, SHLB, Bill Wallace, US Ignite
- Opening Remarks: Larry Strickling, Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information and Administrator, NTIA
- Keynote: Senator John Boozman (R-AR)
Leveraging High-Speed Internet for Success (First Panel)
- Mayor Berke, Chattanooga, TN
- Mayor Kirkham, Ammon, ID
- Ed Bostick, CEO, Colorado Telehealth Network
- S. Dallas Dance, Superintendent, Baltimore County Public Schools
- Crosby, Kemper, Head of Kansas City Public Library
Moderated by Chris Mitchell, Policy Director, Next Century Cities and Director of the Community Broadband Networks Initiative, Institute for Local Self Reliance
Broadband Policy Priorities for a New Administration (Second Panel)
- Susan Crawford, John A. Reilly Clinical Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and co-director of the Berkman Center
- Blair Levin, Senior Fellow with the Metropolitan Policy Program at Brookings
- Mark Erickson, Economic Development Director, Winthrop, MN
- Gigi Sohn, Counselor to the Chairman at the Federal Communications Commission
Moderated by Clarissa Ramon, Community Impact Manager, Google Fiber
Keynote Conversation: Senator Angus King (I-ME) and Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
Moderated by R David Edelman, Special Assistant to the President