The Institute for Local Self-Reliance seeks a GIS and Data Visualization Intern to support ILSR’s Community Broadband Networks Initiative in Minneapolis, MN. We are looking for candidates that have a passion for policy and visualizing data. We work on a wide range of issues including universal Internet access, network neutrality, and municipal broadband. You will be working alongside the GIS and Data Visualization Researcher for the Community Broadband Networks Initiative with the opportunity to learn aspects of GIS and data analysis specific to a public policy setting. We strongly value a diverse workforce and are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. ILSR promotes an environment free of discrimination and harassment and our Minneapolis office is located in a welcoming neighborhood.
- Create informative maps using public databases
- Compile statistics related to Internet access
- Work creatively with the Community Broadband Networks Team to develop visual resources to educate policymakers and activists on issues around Internet access
- Do ongoing research for longer reports and projects
- Occasional projects for other initiatives as needed
- Strong writing, research, and communications skills
- Proficiency with statistics and GIS applications, experience cleaning data
- Background knowledge of public policy and/or economics (preferred, but not required)
- Creative - graphics, videos, audio, maps, etc.
- Ability to work independently and juggle multiple tasks
- Enthusiasm for policy work to improve Internet access for everyone
- Experience using Python or R is a plus
You do not need to know much about broadband policy or telecommunications when you start.
Position includes 15-20 hour work week, a $15/ hour wage and a dynamic workforce of dedicated and friendly policy wonks trying to make the world a better place.
Please use the subject line “Mapping and Data Research Intern” when sending your materials to mandrews(at)ilsr.org. Include a cover letter, resume, and example of a map or data visualization product. Applications are due Friday, January 17, 2020 but we will begin to review applicant materials before the deadline. Never hurts to try. Please do. ...Read more