The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a national nonprofit working to empower communities by striking at the roots of monopoly power. Our Community Broadband Networks program focuses on local approaches to ensure everyone has high-quality Internet access. This program is a diverse and growing team that makes a difference – our analyses are frequently featured in national news media and sought out by policymakers.
ILSR’s Community Broadband Networks program seeks a GIS and Data Visualization Specialist. We are looking for candidates that have a passion for using their skills as part of a team focused on justice and equity for all. Our mission is focused on a range of digital equity challenges but this position will also offer opportunities to work on larger ILSR projects and goals.
- Create informative broadband coverage maps using public and internal databases, including the infamous FCC Form 477
- Compile statistics related to Internet access across datasets
- Creatively develop visual resources to educate policymakers and activists on issues around Internet access
- Support ongoing research for longer reports and projects
- Support research for our allies and partners, often working with BIPOC communities
- Strong writing, research, and communications skills
- Graduate-level coursework in or professional experience working with spatial datasets or mapping efforts
- Ability to combine both spatial datasets and nonspatial datasets to create user-facing products or as intermediary steps in research projects
- Proficiency with statistics and GIS applications, experience cleaning data
- Background knowledge of public policy and/or economics (preferred, but not required)
- Creative thinking – graphics, videos, audio, maps, etc.
- Ability to work independently and juggle multiple tasks
- Enthusiasm for policy work to improve Internet access for everyone, but an appreciation of how uneven broadband access disproportionately harms historically marginalized communities
You do not need to know much about broadband policy or telecommunications when you start. Our team is well-versed in helping colleagues rapidly learn the intricacies around broadband policy. This is...Read more