The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a national nonprofit working to empower communities by striking at the roots of monopoly power. We use in-depth research, reporting, and data analysis to work with communities as well as produce influential reports and articles. Our analyses are frequently featured in national news media and sought out by policymakers. We work closely with a broad range of allies to move these ideas and policies.
ILSR is looking for a Broadband Writer/Researcher within the U.S. to join a growing team within ILSR focused on ensuring all Americans have fast, affordable, and reliable Internet access. This person will work with Sean Gonsalves and Ry Marcattilio-McCracken to develop research as well as create short- and long-form content focused on improving Internet access both in urban and rural areas. This might seem like a dry and technical issue, but it is a vibrant and exciting field that is also one of this generation’s biggest equity and justice challenges.
Check out the job duties and skills needed below.
Job responsibilities include:
- Writing stories for MuniNetworks.org, a clearinghouse of the latest news, comprehensive reports, and statistics about community broadband networks.
- Writing and collaborating with the team on larger reports.
- Managing research ongoing on the cities and cooperative that are building networks.
- Monitoring an overwhelming number of Google alerts and other streams of information to keep track of local developments around community networks.
- Working with the team to develop and review research projects and creative efforts to share our work.
A successful candidate is:
- An exceptionally good writer with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way. Able to write quickly when needed.
- Able to design, undertake, and complete original research with little direction on familiar topics.
- Has experience with research and writing projects that make use of sources like news coverage, legislation, agency reports, municipal documents, etc.
- Possesses a genuine enjoyment of collaboration with a willingness to give and receive honest feedback. Skilled at helping team members improve the articles they contribute.
- Passionate about the ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power.