The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a national research and advocacy organization working to reverse corporate concentration and advance policies to rebuild the economic power and capacity of local communities. Our work illuminates the public policy decisions that have fueled concentration at the expense of local businesses, working people, and communities. It also shows how we can change the rules to create a more equitable, sustainable, and democratic future. We use in-depth research, reporting, and data analysis to produce influential reports and articles. Our analysis is frequently featured in national news media and sought out by policymakers. We partner closely with a broad range of allies to move these ideas and policies.
ILSR is looking for an experienced communications professional to join our team as Communications Director. We’re looking for someone near one of our three home offices in Washington, D.C.; Minneapolis, Minn.; or Portland, Maine but are open to candidates located remotely.
- Develop and drive bold media strategies that garner earned media, advance ILSR’s policy goals, and highlight its expertise and thought-leadership, including pitching ILSR’s research and subject-matter experts to journalists and producers (30% of time)
- Develop and execute the communications and media components of an organizational strategic plan, including identifying the best frame to communicate our mission, vision, and values (10%)
- Harmonize ILSR’s written output (including reports, articles, podcasts, and newsletters) across its different initiatives, including by reviewing major written products and leveraging these products to advance ILSR’s broader message and brand (10%)
- Manage a small communications team (10%)
- Oversee ILSR’s web presence to maximize engagement with ILSR’s content (10%)
- Develop and oversee execution of social media campaigns across all platforms, telling the story of ILSR’s work through engaging graphics, video, and other mediums (15%)
- Collaborate with ILSR’s Development team on the Annual Report and occasional fundraising campaigns (5%)
- Occasionally represent ILSR at meetings and events. (5%)
- Administrative tasks (5%)
- Some travel may be required
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE IS:
- An exceptionally good writer and communicator with the ability to synthesize and convey complex ideas...