Ready to see your name in lights? (Okay, okay, just 12 point font.)
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance is seeking a Broadband Writer and Editor to join the Institute’s Community Broadband Networks Initiative in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The Community Broadband Networks team works to ensure all Americans have fast, affordable, and reliable Internet access by researching, reporting, and advising on issues such as community-owned broadband, network neutrality, and universal access. The new Broadband Writer and Editor will manage our site, MuniNetworks.org, and work closely with rest of our small but dedicated team.
View the listing on ILSR.org or below.
- Managing MuniNetworks.org (this site!), a clearinghouse of the latest news, comprehensive reports, and statistics about community broadband networks. This includes researching, interviewing people over the phone, and authoring articles as well as managing posts, podcasts, and research material created by the team (65%)
- Managing our archive of materials about municipal networks, cooperative networks, and other approaches in the broadband area (10%)
Monitoring an overwhelming number of Google alerts and other streams of information to keep track of local developments around community networks (15%)
- Working with the team to develop and review research projects and creative efforts to share our work. (10%)
A Successful Candidate Is:
- An exceptionally good writer with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way. Able to write quickly when needed.
- Attentive to accuracy, detail, and nuance.
- A strong analytical thinker who can identify the pivotal questions and gaps in a piece.
- Possesses a genuine enjoyment of collaboration with a willingness to give and receive honest feedback. Skilled at helping team members improve the articles they contribute.
- Passionate about ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power.
- Enthusiastic about puns, alliteration, or some other means of playing with words.
- Interested in helping to produce and potentially edit podcasts.
- More than 3 years of experience in journalism or...