The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a national nonprofit working to empower communities by striking at the roots of monopoly power and striving toward a vision of thriving, diverse, equitable communities. We use in-depth research, reporting, and data analysis to produce influential reports and articles. Our analyses are frequently featured in national news media and sought out by policymakers. We work closely with a broad range of local community leaders, elected officials, and a diverse coalition of allies to advance these ideas and policies.
Community Broadband Organizer
ILSR is looking for an enthusiastic candidate to assist these local organizing efforts. Our Community Broadband Networks program has many resources and contacts that can dramatically accelerate local organizing efforts. This position will require frequent meetings with local groups to understand their goals and challenges, as well as organizing more general support systems like mutual-aid calls and other resources as needed. Success will mean many more communities will achieve digital equity more rapidly than would otherwise occur.
- Meeting with local leaders/activists working on community broadband planning or building networks; helping to educate local efforts on common challenges, constraints, and opportunities.
- Learning about broadband technology, policy, and related state and federal tools.
- Finding alignment and opportunities in the work of allies in the field and engaging on them.
- Occasionally developing one-pagers and other basic materials with colleagues at ILSR.
- Knowing when to ignore bullet points.
- Reporting back to ILSR colleagues on trends, challenges, and creative solutions and soliciting feedback to continue helping local efforts.
A Successful Candidate
- Is an empathetic and engaged listener that can quickly understand what people in local efforts need and are struggling with.
- Is highly self-directed and driven with an appreciation of the awesome power of human networking.
- Is quick to learn new subjects.
- Possesses a genuine enjoyment of collaboration with a willingness to give and receive honest feedback.
- Passionate about the ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power.
- Understands that setbacks are...