The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is looking for a Broadband Writer/Editor to join a small team within ILSR focused on ensuring all Americans have fast, affordable, and reliable Internet access.
With Katie leaving to add her acumen, insight, and research skills to ILSR's Energy Democracy team across the virtual hall, there's a signifcant void to fill. Coverage of electric cooperatives here might never recover, and we'll certainly miss her.
Check out the job duties and skills needed below.
Job responsibilities include:
- Writing stories for MuniNetworks.org, a clearinghouse of the latest news, comprehensive reports, and statistics about community broadband networks.
- Writing and collaborating with the team on larger reports.
- Managing research ongoing on the cities and cooperative that are building networks.
- Monitoring an overwhelming number of Google alerts and other streams of information to keep track of local developments around community networks.
- Working with the team to develop and review research projects and creative efforts to share our work.
A successful candidate is:
- An exceptionally good writer with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way. Able to write quickly when needed.
- Attentive to accuracy, detail, and nuance.
- Strongly motivated.
- A strong analytic thinker who can identify the pivotal questions and gaps in a piece.
- Possesses a genuine enjoyment of collaboration with a willingness to give and receive honest feedback. Skilled at helping team members improve the articles they contribute.
- Passionate about the ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power.
- Enthusiastic about puns, alliteration, or some other means of playing with words.
- More than 1 year of experience in journalism or writing and editing – ideally on broadband policy, tech, or related fields.
- Strong knowledge of public policy processes or a tech/telecom background.
- A bachelor’s degree.
This position is full-time working with a team based in Minnesota, but we currently work remotely and welcome applications from anywhere within the U.S. Position includes 100% employer-paid health plan, generous vacation and holiday leave, and retirement contribution matching. Salary is commensurate with experience, in the $35,000-$45,000 range. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place. ILSR takes professional growth seriously.
Applications are welcome from a broad range of applicants. ILSR is committed to providing employees with a welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, color, religion or belief, gender identification, family or parental status. ILSR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter addressed to Christopher Mitchell along with your résumé, and two writing samples reflecting your original work to firstname.lastname@example.org along with where you learned about this opportunity. The cover letter should be no longer than 400 words and the writing samples no longer than 1,000 words each (excerpts of longer pieces are welcome). The subject line of the email should say “Broadband Researcher.” Applications will be accepted at least through Sept 18 and on a rolling basis after that date until the position is filled. Check ILSR’s website for updated information.